返回列表 回复 发帖
Oh, Hanxue. How I wish!! We are very seldom on the same continent-and Minnesota is 1500 miles (2500 km) from California. My first trip to see him in concert was a HUGE extravagance. I do not think I could afford to do that again.

KK
Karen in Minnesota
         Chyi Chin's biggest fan in                  
               Minnesota, USA.
Drummer,
I wish I could read Chinese but I do not know a word except some names and song titles. I 100% use a translator program! Even with a translator I sometimes do not have a clue what someone has said. Does anything I say make sense when it is translated into Chinese?

KK
               Minnesota, USA.
It was fate.

I started to watch Hong Kong movies about 7 or 8 years ago (in Cantonese with English subtitles). I kept hearing a beautiful song and at some point I found out it was called "The Moon Represents My Heart". I searched for it and found a language page where the people learning (Mandarin) Chinese were using music. There was a translation and a Pinyin version. There were about 10 versions of the song by different artists. The very last one was an artist called Chyi Chin. I fell in love with his voice the first time I heard it. Then the hard work began!!

I did not know the difference between the dialects of Chinese and I couldn't figure out the difference between Chyi Chin and Qi Qin. I had to figure all these things out. Then I had to figure out Pinyin. I can sing "Moon" and I've heard so many versions I can tell when someone sings it well. Chyi Chin's diction is perfect, of course. I also graduated to Chinese films. I adore Zhang Yimou, among others.

The first time I saw a photo of Chyi Chin I felt like I knew him. As I listened to other songs I could not believe how beautiful they were. Song after song after song-each one more beautiful than the one before. I could not understand a word, but I could certainly hear the emotion.

I made a file where I had other artist's names and the Chinese characters for their name so I could copy and paste to search for them and listen to them. Usually I found their names in articles about Chyi Chin, so many were his contemporaries. It was a lot of work being his fan.

I flew to Los Angeles in 2008 to see him in concert. I waited outside the theater and everyone there knew I wanted to see him-the policeman doing security, the janitor, the theater manager-the stage crew. They were all helping. It was very hot and you can see that my face is red on my avatar because I got sunburned.

I thought I would be able to take a picture as he walked by. When he arrived he was coming towards me up the steps and was looking right at me. Someone must have told him a fan was waiting for him. I remember thinking that I felt like I knew him. He came up and said, "Oh, there you are." I was so flabbergasted I could not think of anything to say! (I was also tired and sunburned!) He was charming and handsome and made sure someone took a photo with my camera.

The very best part was at the concert that evening. There were only a couple of non-Chinese fans in the audience and I was one of them. A lot of the young people around me kept asking questions about him because they didn't seem to know him very well. I was the expert!! Ha Ha

At the end of the concert everyone was getting ready to leave and I told them to wait. He would be back. I told them he always closes with "Around The Time Of Winter". I was right-he came back and closed with that song.

My only regret is that I wasn't brave enough to just walk backstage and see him in his element. If I had a chance to go again I would certainly be brave enough to do that.

I think the most special thing about being his fan is that I have learned so much about China through him. I treasure that experience the most. By the way, I go to a counselor for health reasons and she is convinced perhaps I knew him in another life!! What do you think?

By the way. Your English is wonderful.
KK
               Minnesota, USA.
Firefly,
You are absolutely correct.
I do not have a clue what Gallin said. Not a clue!!
KK
               Minnesota, USA.
I am doing pretty well on Weibo. Kbopper (me) is talking to many people, even brother, on live chat. I use the translator and many people have some English or excellent English. We seem to understand each other! It is amazing and I enjoy it very much. I have learned a lot.

If someone does not have good English I just ask them not to worry. I just love to say hello, but I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable. I love the many things people share on the Micro Blog, especially songs and video. It is great fun!

KK
               Minnesota, USA.
返回列表