返回列表 回复 发帖
What a fantastic trip! What did you think of the country out there?
Air travel has turned into a nightmare-especially international flights..................

KK
Wow. You really covered a lot of ground. Did you go out on that Grand Canyon skywalk? That thing scares me to death.....

KK
Have a wonderful trip. I know you will enjoy it immensely!
Travel safely and have a wonderful time.

KK
It sounds like that little girl actually did what I would think about doing!!!
KK
I must say congratulations to Chyi Chin for winning "Greatest Achievement in Chinese-language Music of the Year" at the 2010 Chinese Pop Music Awards. He must be pleased and he has worked very hard to deserve it!  He is the best.

KK

I have a ridiculous question. I hope someone can explain this. Why do news articles refer to Chyi Chin's fans as "bean and sweet potato starch noodles"? Is that really what they are called or is it a strange translation? Would I be a bean or sweet potato starch noodle?

Karen in Minnesota

Please don't let the question above disappear.

This is a real mystery to me.

KK    

THANK YOU SANDY

That makes absolutely perfect sense.................now that you explained it to me!  

It also helps me pick out other examples.

I'm going to have to remember to consider that possibility when something doesn't make sense. Maybe the word being used just sounds like the word because there is no actual word!!.

I do one other thing to try and make my messages make sense or say what I want them to say.

I type the message in English. I then copy and paste the English into Chinese. Then I copy and paste the Chinese back to English to see if it says what I want to say.  Sometimes I have to change words and work on it to make it closer to what I'm trying to say.

Of course, the easiest thing to say is I love you all!!

[ 本帖最后由 Karen_Koerner 于 2011-1-28 22:35 编辑 ]

Sandy,

It's me again! You are right about this being a good place to post. I know I get carried away and I probably annoy people on other threads!

(I consider myself a "thread-killer" because as soon as I post the thread goes dead).

It's funny, I know a lot of little things about China and I put them together for a bigger picture. I am not an educated person or an academic. I take Chinese history in small bites because it is SO HUGE. I like to read stories about people to try and understand China and I think pop culture is a good window to any country. I know funny little things-like everything from "Brother Sharp" to "My~father~is~Li~Gang"!! Chyi Chin is my touchstone because I try to learn about any place he goes to. It makes it easier to remember if you have something to relate a place to. I have often wondered if he takes the time to see the sites. He is a lucky, privileged man to get to go to all the places he goes to.

As for politics-I don't judge good or bad-I just accept that it is different. I think China is the most dynamic country in the world today and her treasure is her people. They will ultimately decide what they want. Things are changing so fast that the one danger I see is people throwing the old cultural beliefs overboard. I am so happy to see traditional celebrations for Spring Festival because those traditions hold family and people in general together.

I don't exactly know what I mean, but I don't want China to forget the value of the old as they are flooded and overwhelmed by the new. I think China right now is at the crest of a new era of history and I regret I'm too old to know where she will be in 15 or 20 years!

Gung Hay Fat Choi

KK

Oops......

Gong Xi Fa Cai 恭喜发财

That's better! Thanks.

KK

返回列表